I was asked early last week to do a post on core work and activities. I wish I could tell you I was more consistent or that I didn’t struggle occasionally to get it done but that would be a lie. During the marathon I noticed I was an awkward flailing runner (something I’ve never really been before) and I truly believe this is because I “forgot” to do core work. It could also be that I decided I was lazy to do core work…which is fine except I did that every day. Since November I have been trying to do something core related daily, whether it takes 5 minutes or 15.
I am not a core expert (by any means) but this is just what I have been doing and enjoy. If you have any ideas or core work you like to do please feel free to share because I’m always in need for new routines.
Shorter core days:
- Sometimes I do 500 crunches. Straight up. 100 normal crunches, 100 bicycle crunches, 100 normal, 100 Russian twists and 100 legs straight up) I like crunches a lot.
- Weighted Russian Twists. I like those a lot too.
- This machine (at the gym):
- Or this machine :
- Sometimes I do planks but I don’t really like them much honestly.
Interesting Apps or programs for longer days:
- I am sure a lot of people have heard of the Nike training club APP for smart phones. It’s free and often times I need someone (or a voice) telling me what to do or I don’t do it. They have a lot of different “programs” ranging from 15 minutes to 45.
- P90X I like p90x a lot but go in spurts with it. There is only so much of Tony’s voice I can handle so I will say I normally do this for 6 months and take 6 months off. I’m currently in the 6 months on phase.
I have been in the routine of doing 5 out of 7 days of core work. It doesn’t seem like a lot but it is more then I have been doing. I would rather have a strong core then be ripped and since I am built with very narrow hip bones I’ll never have a six pack. Oh well.
Question for you: What are your favorite core workouts?