As I continued my quest to try new hydration products, I stumbled upon Skratch Sport Recovery Drink Mix. Over the past few years, I’ve gotten a lot better about recovering, eating, and drinking quality sources post-run. I do find it helps me recover better. I was excited to try the Skratch Sport Recovery.
Plus, I’ve already tried several things from Skratch Labs, including:
- Skratch Lab Energy Chews
- Skratch Labs Hyper Hydration
- Skratch Labs Wellness Hydration
- Skratch Labs Sport Hydration Mix
About Skratch Labs:
According to the website: “Skratch labs makes sports nutrition designed to help you perform better without offending your gut or your taste buds because they use real food, starting from scratch.”
Skratch Labs began in professional cycling. While working as a sports scientist and coach, Dr. Allen Lim started to make his training food and sports drinks from scratch. He was tired of the artificial ingredients that made many cyclists sick to their stomachs.
His first creation was the “secret drink mix.” He also began diluting sports drinks to lower the sugar concentration while adding extra salt and electrolytes. His “secret drink mix” used a recipe with less sugar, more sodium, and no artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors. It even used real fruit!
As word got out about the “secret drink mix,” it was clear that there was a demand for it. To meet the demand, Dr. Allen Lim put together a team and created the company Skratch Labs.
About Skratch Sport Recovery Drink Mix:
The Skratch Labs Sport Recovery Drink Mix designed for post-workout. It’s an all-natural protein and carbohydrate powder. Like many Skratch products, it’s easy on the stomach, but it’s also expensive.
What makes Skratch Sport Recovery Drink Mix different?
- Easy on the stomach
- Several flavors (not just vanilla or plain)
- non-GMO and gluten-free
- Kosher, vegetarian
The Recovery Drink Mix also includes probiotics to aid protein absorption, which also helps those with dairy or lactose intolerances. If you struggle with absorbing lactose or whey-based products, you might be surprised to learn that Skratch Sport Recovery Drink Mix is designed with probiotics to combat that.
Nutritionally, there is plenty in the Skratch Sport Recovery Drink Mix. If you mix two scoops with water, they contain about 200 calories, 35 grams of carbohydrate, and 7 grams of protein. Personally, I prefer something with slightly more protein, and I’m surprised it doesn’t.
I appreciate Skratch prefers their products to be as natural as possible and doesn’t contain a lot of extra garbage. Many people also struggle with consuming calories after a hard workout. The Skratch Sport Recovery Drink Mix makes consuming powders that aren’t “too sweet.”
My Experience with Skratch Sport Recovery Drink Mix:
Mixing the Recovery Drink Mix is easy. They mix well in water or whatever liquid you prefer. I usually put mine in a blender. I’ve mixed it with water, milk, and occasionally peanut butter, and each taste good. They are a lot less sweet than many other brands out there, and they don’t taste gritty.
The Skratch Sport Recovery Drink Mix comes in four different flavors:
- (Vegan) Chocolate: Chocolate is the staple of any recovery or protein powder brand. The Skratch Labs isn’t too sweet, so if you are someone who likes more of a faint taste, you’ll appreciate this. The probiotics are designed to be one of the most gut-friendly recovery drinks out there.
- Chocolate: To be honest, between the chocolate and vegan chocolate, I didn’t notice a difference. At first, I thought they were the same, but after reading, I found the difference.
- Coffee: I will admit I’m not a huge coffee protein powder drink person, but this one didn’t taste too strong. It mixed easily with milk (what I like) and I found it a lot more enjoyable than with just water. The coffee also contains 45 mg of caffeine which is great if you’ve just finished a long run or workout and need an extra boost.
- Horcheta: I actually had no idea what Horcheta was. I didn’t have the slightest clue what it would taste like but it tasted good. If you are looking for something closest to vanilla, this would be it. It is also the sweetest of the bunch but by no means sweet.
Right now, my favorite way to consume the Recovery Mix is the Horchata Flavor with milk or almond milk. I like the additional sweetness. It’s easy to drink after a hard workout without feeling sick. My stomach feels good, and I feel as though I recover better. Like any recovery product, you aren’t going to feel better after using it once, but you should feel better by consistently using it.
Cost: Single Serving $3.50 or 12 servings for $32.50
The Skratch Labs Sport Recovery Drink Mix is not cheap and one of the more expensive options out there. But they focus on the athlete and make products that are easy to consume especially if you are lactose intolerant or don’t enjoy sweet drinks.
Skratch Sport Recovery Drink Mix Conclusion:
I am a big fan of the Skratch Labs Sport Recovery Drink Mix and I find it one of the easier recovery brands to consume after a hard effort. I’ll probably continue using it most after races when I’m not home. I think it’s great but it’s hard to justify the cost for using after an easy run.
Looking to learn more about running shoes? In my ebook, I talk about why you need a good running shoe, a shoe’s anatomy, neutral vs. stable, and even myths of running shoes.
Questions for you:
Have you tried Skratch Labs Sport Recovery Drink Mix?
What is your favorite recovery drink mix?