If you know me, you know I’m the queen of easy recipes. That’s how the Easy Shepards Pie Recipe was born. One day on TV, I saw an ad for Shepard’s Pie. When looking for recipes to make it, I found most of them to take more time than I would like. I didn’t want to mash my potatoes or spend hours cooking my vegetables.
I don’t love spending hours cooking and that is how the Easy Shepards Pie Recipe was born. So many things can be made simpler (like buying mashed potatoes or frozen vegetables). I’ve seen recipes that take over 2 hours to make, but with this, it should take you less than an hour.
Easy Shepards Pie Recipe:
Easy Shepards Pie Recipe
- 2 boxes mashed potatoes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Prepare mashed potatoes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in skillet. Then brown ground beef on medium heat. This will take around 5 minutes. Drain excess oil.
- Add tomato soup, frozen mixed veggies, and 1/2 cup of water to the beef. Allow to cook on low heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Spread the ground beef and vegetable mixture onto the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish. Make sure it's even! Then add mashed potatoes over top. Finally add a layer of cheese.
- Cook on center rack for 30 minutes. The cheese will begin to brown.
Easy Shepards Pie Recipe Notes:
- You can use any mashed potatoes. I preferred an easy box mix. You’ll want to follow whatever directions are on the box. Mine called for both milk and butter but I’ve seen many mashed potato recipes that don’t.
- Can you mash your own potatoes? Of course. It just takes more time and effort.
- I’ve made this a few times and included different vegetables or cheese depending on whatever we have left. Right now we’ve enjoyed a pea and corn mixture!
- You can also make this vegetarian using one of the many meat substitutes beyond burger or meat. We’ve done that as well, and it cooks the same.
This is an easy shepherd’s pie recipe, definitely one of our favorite dinner options right now. It’s easy to prepare and we have leftovers for a few days afterward. I didn’t know Shepards Pie could be so easy. I also didn’t look for more simple options either.
You can see more recipes here.
Questions for you:
Have you had shepherds pie?
What is one of your favorite easy dinner recipes?