A few weeks ago, legs of lamb were on sale at the grocery store, so naturally, I wanted an easy leg of lamb recipe. I’ve cooked lamb chops but never leg of lamb. I didn’t *really* even know what to expect when the leg of lamb arrived. There was an actual leg in it. Now before you say “duh,” a lot of time, the actual leg bone is removed. Mine was not.
So looking for an easy leg of lamb recipe became challenging. The easiest would be the instapot like this recipe, but mine didn’t fit. So I opted for the second easiest leg of lamb recipe: roasting.
Where can you buy a leg of lamb?
Most local grocery stores have it at the meat counter. It usually weighs somewhere around 5 lbs. My local Whole Foods had it on sale, which is why I decided to buy some. Of course, a local butcher is going to have it too.
Leg of Lamb Cost:
For the 5 lb leg of lamb, it costs roughly $48. This is a fairly expensive piece of meat, but we also had at least 4 meals left of leftovers. As runners, that is saying a lot. I’m sure some people would have plenty more. If you are considering the cost of meat and leftover potential, the leg of the lamb isn’t that expensive.
Bone-in or Bone Out?
Having the bone in for this easy leg of lamb recipe doesn’t really matter. You’ll find lamb either way, and the bone makes it look fancy. It also makes it harder to stuff in an instapot or crockpot. If you want to learn how to remove the lamb leg bone, you can learn here.
So why make this easy leg of lamb recipe?
- Do you want an easy dinner that feeds a good amount of people that has leftovers?
- Do you want to feel fancy by cooking an entire leg of lamb?
- Do you want to try something new that is basically foolproof with this easy leg of lamb recipe?
Easy Leg of Lamb Recipe
- Roasting pan
- 5 lb leg of lamb
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder add/less more if you prefer
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 bag carrots
- 1 bag salt potatoes
- Remove the lamb roughly one hour before you cook it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine olive oil, garlic, and salt and pepper
- Make shallow cuts across the top of the lamb. (known as scoring)
- Brush the olive oil dressing across the duck.
- Place potatoes and carrots in the roasting pan.
- Place lamb, fat side up, on the roasting pan.
- Place into oven. You want the internal temperature of the lamb to reach 135 degrees F for medium or about 145 for well down. It takes roughly 90 minutes for 135 degrees.
- Cool then slice and eat.
A few notes about this easy leg of lamb recipe:
- Internal Temperature:
- 130 Degrees F will cook the leg of lamb rare: About 17 minutes per pound.
- 135 degrees F will cook lamb Medium’s leg: Usually about 20 minutes per pound.
- 155 Degrees F will cook the leg of lamb well done: About 30 minutes per pound.
- You actually don’t need any seasoning, potatoes, or carrots. Yes, you can roast the lamb alone. Score it and put it in the oven. It will be a lot more flavorful if you add seasoning.
- The leg of lamb will cook after you remove it from the oven. I recommend taking it out slightly early so it finishes as you would prefer.
Easy Leg of Lamb Recipe Conclusion:
Seriously, I was super intimidated to cook my own leg of lamb, but it’s one of the most simple recipes I’ve ever made. If you know me, I prefer simple but high reward, and we had leftovers for several days.
You can see more recipes here.
Questions for you:
Have you made a leg of lamb?
What is your favorite dinner recipe?