A Bold 5k (19:34)

On Sunday, I went into Pennsylvania and raced a local 5k at the Navy Yard.  I actually have a lot to say about this race.  Despite it being my slowest time in over a month, I’m not disappointed with it.  To preface: I knew during my speed workout last Wednesday, my legs didn’t have their normal pop.  Why would they, I just raced a half marathon last Saturday.

I have been feeling under the weather for the last two weeks, I’ve struggled with taking deep breaths, I haven’t had a lot of pep and I haven’t been sleeping the best.  Combine this with running a half marathon, it makes sense I’m not in my peak condition.  I still went to the race and gave it everything I had.  Which for Sunday was a 19:34 5k.  I’m not disappointed at all.

Let’s rewind a bit.

I got to the race around 8 am.  My husband and I warmed up and got to the start at 8:50.  We lined up in the appropriate spot.  Suddenly the start line was mobbed by about 20 very young children.  It was clear they had never run a 5k before.  Most were in blue jeans, non-athletic shoes and not quite sure what to expect.  Heck at that point, I wasn’t sure what to expect.  We were quickly pushed out of the way by the kids…it was a local 5k, and I wasn’t about to be that jerk, washed up an old lady and push the kids out of the way so I could toe the front line.  There are some battles that aren’t worth it.

The race was delayed but finally started around 9:10.  As soon as it started the kids darted everywhere cutting anyone and everyone off.  I’m sure they didn’t mean too, but once again, it was their first 5k, and I doubt they knew 5k etiquette.  By about .1, I found myself as the 6th person and second women.  My legs felt awful, and it was extremely windy.  I hit the first mile in 6:11.  Even though I knew it wouldn’t be my fastest 5k, it still stung a bit to hit the first mile slower than normal.

During the second mile, I found myself alone.  I saw four men in front if me but no one around me.  We were running near the water, so there was a strong wind as well.  I felt miserable, and I’m sure I looked miserable too.  I thrive in out and back courses, so I felt motivated at the turnaround.  I hit the turn around right at 9:58.  As we turned around, my legs began to loosen up.  I didn’t feel good, but I did feel better.  I ran the second mile in 6:20.

During the third mile, I found myself catching and running in stride with another runner.  As we were running the opposite direction some of the children turned around mid-race and began running with us (cutting off over a mile).  Personally I don’t care but once again they began weaving in and out cutting either of us off.  It lasted about half a mile.  Around 2.75, we found ourselves heading directly towards the finish.  There was a huge inflatable banner that couldn’t be missed.  The other runner kept me motivated, and I ended up crushing the last mile in 6:06.

I crossed the finish line in 19:34 and 1st female overall.

me 5kThoughts:

This is my slowest race during the last month, but I also knew I didn’t feel well. In August, I ran the Belmar Chase 5k. It was supposed to be my goal race. I tapered and prepared well for it, and I ran the same time. On Sunday, I ran knowing I felt bad. So my running has progressed significantly since August.

I said on Sunday my plan is to train through this month. I don’t expect my races will be as fast as last month, but the hard work and effort will be.

Questions for you:
Have you ever been cut off or fallen in a race?
Back in college I took a couple of falls during cross country due to being cut off.