I was excited to go to Mama’s on 39 in Huntington Beach. It’s been a while since going to a new diner, so when I found myself in a new area, I knew a new diner was in order. Sadly I went directly after the Surf City Half Marathon. While this would normally be *great*, I had stomach issues, so while the food was good, my stomach was not happy.
There are 3 locations of Mama’s on 39, including Huntington Beach, Long Beach, and Los Alamitos.
Mama’s on 39 Atmosphere: A
When I arrived on Sunday morning, Mama’s on 39 was packed. It looked like it was over an hour’s wait. I ordered takeout, and I was shocked the takeout was ready when I got there.
Anyway, Mama’s on 39 is located in a strip mall area. There is some outdoor seating as well as a large dining area indoors. They have several decorations. It’s more of a modern type of diner, although diner nonetheless.
I didn’t order coffee as my stomach was not in the mood.
Mama’s on 39 Food: A
Mama’s on 39 menu has everything you could want in a diner. There are many breakfast options, including pancakes, chicken and waffles, and several omelet options. Plus, they also have several lunch and salad options.
A few of the Mama’s on 39 menu items that stuck out to me:
- Chicken and Waffles: Buttermilk fried chicken & homemade waffle topped with country gravy and maple syrup.
- Vegan Hash: Roasted potatoes, black beans, onions, tomatoes, green pepper, mushrooms, and jalapenos topped with avocado and Sriracha Sauce
- Not So Hawaiin Pizza: Diced ham, bacon, grilled pineapple, green bell pepper, red onion, and mozzarella cheese.
- ABC Burger: Choice beef, topped with fresh avocado, smoked bacon, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, Mama’s special sauce, and pickle
- Prime Rib Diner: I was fascinated this entree at Mama’s on 39 costs $40! It includes a thick-cut slice of prime rib served with mashed potatoes, coleslaw, and seasonal veggies.
You can see the full Mama’s on 39 diner menu here.
I decided to order a single pancake as well as the vegan hash. I wanted the single pancake as a fallback if my stomach was unhappy with the vegan hash.
The Vegan Hash tasted great, and I was happy with my choice. I actually didn’t realize what the sriracha sauce was until a few minutes in. I would definitely order it again.
The single pancake was interesting because it ended up being two pancakes, and one was blueberry. Don’t get me wrong, it was good, but I was surprised that it was both two pancakes and that one was blueberry and one was plain. It was still one of the better diner pancakes I had.
Mama’s on 39 isn’t cheap, and there are several items over $20.
Mama’s on 39 Service: A
My entire experience, from the food being ready to the staff, was great. I couldn’t believe how fast the food was prepared despite being busy.
Overall Thoughts/Would I Come Back to Mama’s on 39?
I liked my experience at Mama’s on 39, and I would definitely come back. I am interested in some of their dinner options that cost over $20 and even over $30. In all, it was a great experience, and I would definitely recommend it. Obviously, if it has over an hour wait, they must be doing something right!
You can see more diner reviews here.
Questions for you:
Have you been to Mama’s on 39?
What is your favorite beach town diner?