How to Stay Safe While Running
Exactly one week ago, I tripped and fell. While I wasn’t in a lot of pain, I did have to stop my run. I was fortunate that I was only a quarter of a mile from my house. If I were any further, I would have needed to be picked up to get home safely. After my fall, I began thinking of ways to stay safer while running. I even asked Facebook for some tips to stay safe while running. (Thanks for sharing!)
So how can you stay safe while running?
If you run alone, run with a phone or a way to contact someone.
Not to blog or update my Twitter, but if something happens, and I need to be reached, or I need to reach out for help.
For instance, if I were 5 miles away from my house when the incident happened, I would have called someone to pick me up. If I didn’t have my phone, I would not have been able to do that. I’m honestly not sure what I would have done. Having a way to connect with someone is critical for staying safe while running.
As runners, we take a lot of things for granted…including our safety. To be honest, you can never be too careful to stay safe while running. It doesn’t matter whether you are a female runner or male, there are many safety tips to help you stay safe while running but still enjoy running!
Here are some tips and basic rules to follow to stay safe while running:
- Run with identification. Personally, I like to run with my phone as well as an ID inside my case. It might seem bulky, but I always want to be sure in case of an emergency, I have something. It can be the reason you remain safe on the run. These days there are plenty of safety apps on your cell phone to keep you safe while running.
- Tell someone about how far you plan to go and your basic route. It might seem silly, but if you were expected to run 2 miles and you are gone for 2 hours….something doesn’t add up. Letting someone know when you are leaving for a run can help you stay safe while running.
- Don’t run the same route daily. You truly never know who is watching you run. Make sure to run different routes at different times. This is one of the most critical but often overlooked rules of running.
- In running safety, two runners are better than one. There is safety in numbers, right?
- Run against traffic: This is a huge one for those living in more rural areas. I’ve run in both the middle of nowhere and the city. It’s important to run against traffic at all times. You can see who is coming, and it’s easier for drivers to see you. It’s the rules of the road and one detail to help you stay safe while running.
- Take a Self Defense Class: It might seem crazy to take a self-defense class to stay safe while running, but you never know when you might need it. There are also devices Tiger Lady that help you stay safe.
- Wear Reflective Gear: One of the best ways to stay safe while running is to be seen. Never take for granted that every person “sees you.” This is especially important when running at night or in the early hours.
- Be Aware of Your Surroundings: This includes how to listen to music while running. Using headphones like aftershokz and being more aware of your surroundings can only help you stay safe while running.
If you enjoy running related news, subscribe to the once a week newsletter.
Questions for you: How do you stay safe while running?