Recently I had the opportunity to try some of the Janji Spring 2022 Collection. I’ve been a fan of Janji since first learning about them when working in run specialty in 2015 or so.
About the Brand Janji:
Janji gives 2% of proceeds from every purchase to support clean water projects in countries that inspire each of their seasonal collections. You can learn more about the Janji promise here.
As many people know, sustainability is important to me, and I’ve been focused on purchasing more from brands that use sustainable practices. Janji does just that! Janji has the motto “P.F.M.,” which means Perpetual Forward Motion. It reminds us that as we continue, one step in front of the next, they are focused on building a better company and industry.
Janji focuses on not using virgin plastics but also apparel that can be worn more, longer, and does not need to be replaced as often!
A few sustainable practices Janji uses:
- All Janji clothing is Bluesign®, and OEKO-TEX® certified.
- Recycled: In Fall 2020, 1/3rd of fabric is made from most recycled polyester. In 2021, they focused on changing the majority of the Transit tech fabric to recycled polyester.
- Better Cotton: In Spring 2021, Janji cotton is now GOTS certified. They are also transitioning into US-grown, premium Supima® cotton for a more resilient and longer-lasting material.
- Better Synthetics
- Durable Nylon
- Natural Fibers
- Reducing Water
As you can see, Janji is doing some of the best work for the sustainability practices of any running brand!
Sustainability is awesome, but is Janji gear *good for running*? Like most runners, I want to support sustainable practices, but I also don’t want to spend runs being miserable because I’m chafing!
Janji Pieces I Tried:
Materials: 100% polyester with HeiQ® Fresh treatment
Sizing: Typically, I wear a women’s size small top, and that fits the best for the Janji Helio Top.
- Cling-resistant fit: The Helio Tech Tank is made from a 3-dimensional knit that raises it off the skin to prevent it from clinging when sweaty.
- All-summer comfort: Designed to dry quickly and not cling, this top is ready for summer running.
- Stink-free bliss: Janji uses HeiQ® Fresh odor control treatment to keep you smelling fresh all day.
- Hang it up: The Helio Tech Tank features a nylon hang loop on the back neck for easy hanging.
- Stay seen: Reflective logo on front chest + watermark.
As it got warmer, I was excited to try another tank top. I’m always looking for tank tops that breathe well but also aren’t “too sweaty” when I run. No one wants a top to cling to them! I find the Janji Helio Tech Tank to fit comfortably, and I feel it’s not clinging to me when I run. Plus, the fit is flattering. It’s lightweight and has already become one of my favorite summer running tops.
- AFO: 88% recycled polyester, 12% elastane
- Performance brief liner: 94% polyester, 6% spandex
Sizing: Typically, in running shorts, I wear a size XS but found the size small to fit better.
- Weightless feel: Ultra-light AFO stretch woven fabric makes the shorts feel barely there.
- Built-in liner: moisture-wicking performance brief liner
- Keep it secure: Features a secure back zip pocket and nylon pull.
- Cool and dry: Dries quickly and is excellent sweat-wicking for a cool, comfortable ride
- Smooth finish: Bonded hem seams to prevent chafing
I am a huge fan of the AFO shorts and first found out about them last year. They are one of my favorite running shorts because of all of their storage. The AFO shorts dry quickly. I’ve crossed streams of gone for a few very sweaty runs, and I always find them dry within a few minutes. They are also the highest shorts I own, and I forget I’m wearing shorts. I am 5”8 and found that going up a size was the best bet for me.
- Groundwork Knit: 68% nylon, 32% spandex
- Power mesh pockets: 100% polyester
Sizing: Typically, in running shorts, I wear a size XS, and the XS fits the best.
- Breathable, moisture-wicking fabric provides compression.
- Drawcord: Long enough for a comfortable, customized fit with rubberized ends so it won’t get lost in the wash (seriously, every short needs this).
- Keep it secure: An integrated Janji blue s-biner key clip in the top right pocket to secure keys.
- Stay seen: Janji blue reflective logo on front and watermark on the back.
- Stays put: Silicone grippers on the hem prevent the fabric from riding up.
- Pockets: More pockets than any spandex short I own.
These are my favorite Janji product of the Spring and Summer 2022 collection. Last year, when I discovered the AFO collection, I thought: How can Janji get any better? The Groundwork Trail Shorts have more pockets than any other spandex short I’ve tried. Not just that, the pockets are functional and hold things. They will hold a regular phone with a case on it and plenty of nutrition. I must admit, I’ve tried several shorts with silicone grippers that I don’t like. The silicone gets hot or sticky. The Janji Groundwork Trail shorts stay put and they don’t annoy me. In all, the shorts fit well and don’t slide up. I am a huge fan.
According to Janji, the Multipass Sling Bag is a technical running sling bag with 2L volume, multiple secure pockets, and weather repellent fabric; adjustable fit + 2-way wearability.
- Water repellent coated ripstop: PU coated 100% polyester ripstop
- Nylon webbing straps: 100% nylon
- Weather repellent Lightweight ripstop body with durable water repellent finish (DWR) to shed rain and dry quickly.
- Pocket organization: The main zippered compartment has an internal key loop and drop-down envelope pocket.
- Flex space: Flexible middle bungee compartment secures a jacket, water bottle, or larger items.
- Extra support: A cross-body strap secures the bag for high movement (such as running) but can be removed when not needed.
- Visibility Hi-vis reflective nylon daisy chain and reflective zipper pulls
- Lightweight padded support: Flexible honeycomb foam air-mesh back panel for breathable comfort.
- Concealed back pocket: Secondary back zip pocket easily holds items and keeps them out of view.
- Adjustable fit: Dual adjusting, durable nylon strap with lightweight reflective bungee pulls.
- 2-way wearability: Can be worn as a sling bag across the back or front chest or as a fanny pack.
Wow, can we talk about this Janji bag? Of course, we can, it’s my review, but I am a huge fan. I have used it for both running, trail running, and living life. I use it a lot to carry my DSLR camera when I’m out and about; it fits well. I was surprised because I did not think it would fit my camera. Anyway, while running, it lays flat and doesn’t move at all. It competes with packs like Nathan Hydration Quickstart 4L Vest but without the bulky. The only issue is you need to stop and get your water out. It carries plenty, and it’s my favorite bag/pack of the year.
I’m a big fan of the products Janji has come out within the summer of 2022. Each piece is high quality, and you don’t have to sacrifice quality for a brand that “does good in the world.” The groundwork trail short has become one of my favorite spandex shorts that have pockets that can *actually* hold things.
You can see more gear reviews here.
Plus save 15% on Janji using the coupon code FUELED15!
Questions for you:
Have you tried Janji gear?
What is your favorite running gear?