A few weeks ago, I walked by brisket at the grocery store. I’ve really never had brisket, and I knew a slow cooker brisket recipe wouldn’t be the hardest thing to cook ever. That being said, it isn’t as if I went in blindly, and after settling upon a solid recipe, I decided to try it out. Luckily for my spouse and I, the worst thing that could happen is that it’s not edible. In that case, we get rid of it and order take out.
I’ve heard many people cooking brisket for the holidays, and apparently, it is a big Easter meal. That’s probably why I saw so much at the grocery store. Growing up, we always had ham for Easter, but I wasn’t really in a ham mood, so slow cooker brisket recipe it was!
One question I’ve gotten is: is brisket healthy?
Brisket is neither the healthiest nor the unhealthiest meat out there. It does contain oleic acid, which produces higher levels of “good cholesterol.” Good cholesterol lowers heart disease and bad cholesterol. If you are looking for a “leaner” cut, typically grass-fed is leaner. I like the fat.
So what is brisket?
A brisket is a cut of beef that needs to be cooked slowly to break down the connective tissues. It has more of a beefy flavor than other beef cuts. It’s unique that even when slow-cooked, it’s sliceable.
Brisket is the name of the cut. If it’s been prepared already, it might be called corned beef or pastrami. I had no idea!
How Long Does Slow Cooker Brisket Recipes Take to Cook?
Hang on because this a long and slow recipe, and it takes between 8-10 hours in the slow cooker or 5 hours in the oven!
Why make this easy slow cooker brisket recipe?
- Do you want an easy dinner low-maintenance recipe that doesn’t take a lot of effort?
- Do you want to appear fancier than you are? Why does brisket look and feel different?
- Are you looking for a different meal other than the regular chicken, steak, or seafood?
- Is brisket on sale at your local grocery store, so you just decided to buy it without knowing how to cook lamb? (oh, just me?)
If you answered yes, this easy slow cooker brisket recipe is for you. Even if you didn’t and are looking for an easy recipe, this one is nearly foolproof.
Easy Slow Cooker Brisket Recipe:
Slow Cooker Brisket Recipe
- Slower cooker
- 3-4 lbs Brisket
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 1 bottle BBQ sauce
- 1 bag carrots
- 1 bag fingerling potatoes
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a small bowl, mix all of the rub ingredients. Massage all over the brisket. If you can allow your brisket to marinate for 24 hours this will bring out the most flavor.
- Combine the bbq sauce and stock in a bowl. Place carrots and potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker. Then add the brisket, fat side up. Pour bbq sauce and stock on top.
- Cook brisket on low for 8-10 hours. You want the internal temperature to reach 175ºF.
- After it reaches the desired temperature, remove and allow to rest for 10-20 minutes before slicing.
Slow Cooker Brisket Recipe Thoughts:
- You can’t eat brisket rarely. The brisket needs to reach an internal temperature of at least 175.
- You can make your own BBQ sauce. I’ve used this recipe before, and it’s been good.
- You can also broil it for a few extra minutes at 450 degrees. This will crisp the edges of the brisket.
- What happens when you overcook brisket? It is still edible, but it will be much tougher.
Brisket is a great holiday meal. Who doesn’t want something to impress their family that the only hard part of this recipe is the amount of time it takes. Other than that, this easy slow cooker brisket recipe is basically foolproof.
You can see more recipes here.
Questions for you:
Have you tried a slow cooker brisket recipe?
What is your favorite holiday meal?