It’s hard to believe the month of June has finished. I think that is how I open each monthly training post. The cliff notes version of June was I ran healthy and happy.
Mileage: 243 (the exact same mileage as last month…not on purpose!)
Rest Days: 5
Range of Paces: 6:08-10:55-untimed
Shortest Run: 1.75 warmup
Longest Run: 13.1 miles
Scott Coffee 8k (32:44)
Woodbury 5k (19:40)
Flag Day Trail 10k (45:40)
Striders Independence 10k (41:21)
I only did one 5k this month! I planned to do more but I chose other race distances available. Despite none of my races being close to a PR, I enjoyed myself in June. June of 2014 was my last healthy month before getting multiple injuries. In 2014, I got plantar fasciitis at the end of the month followed by a stress fracture in August.
June was a good month to me this year. I have slowly been adding more mileage as well as keeping healthy and injury free. I feel my speed and strength coming back, it is just taking longer than I would have hoped!
I did the same amount of mileage in both May and June, however, my mileage this month was more productive for a few reasons.
1. I ran longer races. The 10k takes twice as long to recover as the 5k. I’m still recovering from last week. I took more rest days this month.
2. Despite the heat, my paces are improving.
3. I’ve added a few striders and fartleks. The quality of my training runs are much better.
July Goals and Races:
July 4th Firecracker 5k
July 11th: Belmar Chase 5 miler
Right now I only have a few races planned in July. I will add more but I have to look and see what is available!
- My main goals of July are to stay healthy, strong and consistent.
- My secondary goals are to add mileage and speed work.
- Finally my time goal is to consistently run a sub 20 minute 5k.
Questions for you:
Do you have any plans on July 4th?
How was your month of July?